Monday, May 4, 2009

May 3, 2009 team proCURE begins

On September 21, 2008, I raced for the cure with AFAC TRI at Walt Disney World, FL with a handful of my local Panama City TRI-guys. We had the honor to watch Winter Vinecki and Dawn Estelle swim off into the fog on a personal mission to raise awareness and funds for the Prostate Cancer Foundation. It was truly one of those moments where your goose bumps get goose bumps. Words cannot recreate that moment; a woman fighting for her husband and friend, and a daughter fighting for her father, Michael Vinecki. While I joined in the fight raising over $2500.00 for Team Winter, little did I know, that I, too, had a cancer growing within me. A cancer that does not discriminate based on age, race, health or religion.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer on December 3, 2008, at 41 years old. Due to family history, I had been proactive in my health and started screening early at age 39. This consisted of determination of baseline PSA (1.6 which for under 40 was already suspect), colonoscopy and annual physicals. In late November, lab reports indicated a PSA of 2.0 (up from 1.2 six months prior). My urologist, and personal friend, explained that a biopsy was necessary due to the increase in PSA. On December 1st twelve core samples were taken. Two days later the pathology report indicated one of the twelve tested positive for cancer and two were atypical. A second opinion from John Hopkins confirmed prostate cancer, stage 1, Gleason score of 6. Next, we followed up with a bone scan, a pelvic and abdominal CT which both showed that the cancer was contained within the prostate. Our research began into what type of treatment would be best based on my age, health, and diagnosis. After a consultation New Year’s Eve with surgeon Vipul Patel of the Global Robotics Institute at Celebration Hospital, FL, my wife and I decided that a radical prostatectomy would be our course of treatment. Surgery was then scheduled for April 6, 2009.

I spent the next four months training for my biggest race ever, the race against cancer. I made a decision to go into surgery as physically prepared as possible by being in the best shape I have ever been. I also had to prepare myself mentally as well. The countdown had begun. So I was off to prepare for the big day – April 6. When “race day” finally arrived I was indeed in the best physical shape I had ever been. I was surrounded by friends from Panama City who made the trip for my surgery, my sister, and of course, my wife. Since the surgery was the live case for the World Robotic Urological Symposium hosted by Dr. Vipul Patel, my local urologist/friend was also in attendance. The procedure took just over an hour and, as I am told, was executed with total perfection. By the afternoon of surgery day, I was up and walking around – a bit wobbly at first, but nonetheless, I was on my feet. A mere 23 hours after arrival in my hospital room, I was discharged. It would then be an additional 4 days before I could leave the Orlando area. The results of the biopsy showed that the prostate was 15% involved by tumor, the stage was pT2c, Gleason Grade 3+3 (score 6) and the margins clear. The prostatectomy was the correct choice of treatment.

Today, 5 months from diagnosis and 4 weeks after surgery I am cancer-free and have been cleared from light duty. I have managed a 45-minute swim, a 43-mile bike ride and a 6-mile run. The recovery has been challenging, the continence control is a slow process and the potency has already returned. I have been surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses and they intend to join me in forming team proCURE from Panama City for the 2009 AFAC TRI. This team plans to procure funds for the Prostate Cancer Foundation and raise awareness by competing in this awesome event run by Athletes for a Cure. Our team mantra is "raising funds and awareness to change the face of prostate cancer."

Athletes for a Cure (AFAC), a program of the Prostate Cancer Foundation, is a fundraising and awareness program to assist individual athletes in their quest to raise money for better treatments and a cure for prostate cancer. The Prostate Cancer Foundation is the world's largest philanthropic source of support for prostate cancer research with a simple, yet urgent goal: to find better treatments and a cure for recurrent prostate cancer. AFAC is led by Scott Zagarino Managing Director of Athletes for a Cure.

In closing, the bottom line is take advocacy into your own hands; find a physician and a urologist that will take a general interest in your health, test early. Ask the questions; find the correct treatment and build relationships that will help you get through. I cannot tell you how important my newfound friendships with Scott and Greta Zagarino, Darren Ritch, Dr. Vipul Patel and AFAC make the difference; these are people who genuinely care.

And lastly “NEVER GIVE IN.”

If your interested in my personal journey and recovery you can go to my blog; http://www.bretttroia.blogspot.com/

We look forward to your comments and your support during our endeavor.

Follow This Link <https://www.kintera.org/faf/search/searchTeamPart.asp?ievent=294527&lis=1&kntae294527=B1D802D6B5A746ED9374F4D3FEC425B1&supId=232476329&team=3401037> to visit our team web page.


Brett Troia
Jeff Wirrick
Alan McCurley
Rusty Gentry
Brian Sterrett
Gary Dennis
Darren Ritch

your name here

1 comment:

  1. There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2349010754824,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For:Dengue Fever, Malaria. Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Obesity, Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count. Bacteria, Impotence Fertility,Protoplasmic, Diarrhea. Herpatitis A&B, Rabies. Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Gallstone, Cystic Fibrosis, Schizophrenia, Cirrhosis,  Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Cornelia Disease, Weak Erection. Ovarian problem,  Erysipelas, Thyroid, Discharge from Penis. Bronchial Problem,  HPV.  Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism,  Impotence, thyroid, Autism, Sepsis Bacteria,  Penis enlargement, Prostate Problem,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2349010754824  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dieing in pain and full of heart break. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contact him to try my luck, we talk and he send me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cure totally. I don't really know how it happen but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.

    ReplyDelete